The most important relationship in your life is your relationship with God. No other relationship comes close. Grow in knowing and loving Him.
Love God With All Your Mind (R.C. Sproul)
R.C. Sproul explains how the mind is corrupted by sin and the priority of loving God with the mind must first start with a new spirit. Then he explains the connection between loving God with knowing and worshiping Him.
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.”
– Romans 1:18–28
Highlights of the Message:
- Why all men know that God exists.
- God’s judgment upon the human mind for rejecting Him
- How brilliant people can still reject the fact of God’s existence
- The link between rationality and faith
- The necessity of regeneration to love God with the mind
- Loving God with our minds is evidence of being a true Christian
Questions for Study
These questions are based on the information from this message and follow the order of the talk. Some of the questions may challenge you to think beyond what you hear and take what you learn a step further through application or bringing in knowledge you might already have.
- How has sin affected the human mind? How have you seen sin affect your mind in particular?
- Why does Sproul believe all atheists really believe God exists?
- Why don’t people naturally love the command to love God with our minds? Does it have anything to do with their natural intelligence? Why or why not?
- Does God expect us to have faith without reason? Why or why not?
- What is the difference between knowing God cognitively and knowing Him personally?
- Why must seeking and loving God begin with the mind?
- What examples does Sproul give to explain what it means to love God with our minds? How does this relate to worship?
- What steps do you think you should take to love God better with your mind?
Other Helpful Bible Verses
Matthew 22:36–37 – “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”
Romans 12:1–2 – “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
2 Peter 3:18 – “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.”
Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations are from The ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.Third-Party Content
4Elect does not necessarily endorse every idea or comment in a video or article or quote created by a third party author, minister, etc.. Additionally, if we post one piece of material by an author or speaker, it certainly does not mean we endorse all content ever produced, or words spoken by, that particular individual. We post third party content that we believe is overall spiritually beneficial to our readers. We screen all third party content for suitability.